Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Learning Experience

Michael and I had a learning experience on Friday night. A long time ago we offered to babysit our friends' two boys. The boys are three (in February) and 16 months. Their anniversary was this week so they decided they wanted to rent a cabin out at Mozingo. So we watched the boys on Friday night.

Michael is WONDERFUL with children. He played with the boys and was EXTREMELY helpful. He still has a lot to learn about children - hence the title of this post. (Disclaimer - I do not know everything - I babysat a lot when I was younger and have been around more kids than he has!)

I went with my friend to pick the boys up from daycare. She wanted me to know their check out procedure. They are expecting another boy in March and we're one of the people who may have to watch the boys while they're in the hospital. So I ran around with her and then hung out at the house until both of our husbands showed up. By the time the husbands arrived we already had the boys feed and I got the run down on the nightly routine and morning routine! :-)

So our friends left, leaving us with their kids overnight! We played with the boys until it was bath time! I went to run the water and asked Michael if he could take the boys clothes off and diapers off. He sent in the three year old and I put him in the tub. Then I hear this, "Do I need to wipe the poop out of his crack before the bath?" My response, "Um, Yes!" (This was said sarcastically if you didn't pick that up!) I hear the 16 month old crying and then Michael brought him in. So I put him into the tub. All of a sudden I see things floating in the water. Upon looking a little closer I realize that the floaters were poop! I start draining the tub and explain to my husband that you have to wipe off all of the poop before putting the kids in the tub. Michael proceeded to tell me how bad he felt because the 16 month old has HORRIBLE diaper rash and he was crying while he was wiping him off! It extremely sweet that he didn't want to hurt the youngest boy - he definitely has a tender heart! Anyway, I drained the water and ran some more and the boys enjoyed their bath. After than we got the boys through their nightly routine and sent to bed. We were in bed by 10:30.

Saturday morning went really well and we didn't have any major problems except for a diaper attempting to fall off on one side and my husband getting attacked by the diaper genie! Both boys slept until 7:30 - which was good because their mom told me that the oldest would probably come in and wake us up around 6:30. We got up had breakfast, changed diapers, and all that other good stuff. The boys played and had a good morning. A little later in the morning Michael tried to convince me that the diaper I had put on the 16 month old was falling off because it was so low. I told him know it was filled with poop! I went and changed the diaper. After that he changed the three year olds diaper and realized that it was falling off on one side. So I got to make fun of Michael a little bit because his diaper was ACTUALLY falling off and mine never was. Then we had a mini tutorial on how to make sure the tabs stay where they're supposed to! :) We talked to the boys' mom and let her know what a great evening we had and that all was well. She told us she'd be dropping by just to check on them later that afternoon. Michael went and got Old McDonald's for lunch (McDonald's as most of us know it) and the boys chowed down! After lunch Michael was changing the three year olds poopy diaper when we heard the garage door open - Mommy was home. Michael had a heck of a time changing the diaper because the little boy wanted to get up and go see mommy. He finally got finished and the three year old ran out to meet his mom. I was out in the living room with the boys and had no idea that my husband was getting attacked by the diaper genie! Apparently he put in the dirty diaper and was trying to push it further down and got his hand stuck in it! He had a heck of a time getting it out. Currently points: Diaper Genie - 1, Michael - 0. Maybe that score will change when we have our little guy!

As you can tell our evening with the boys was completely a learning experience. Michael really did well with the boys and I was very proud of him. :) He's going to be a great dad and lots of fun!

Oh, and last night we went out to the cabin with our friends for an adults only party. We were celebrating the boys' dad's thirtieth birthday! We finally made it home around midnight. Let's just say my husband had a VERY good time!

No comments: